Thursday, March 25, 2010

No. 84 - Waffle Day

On the CBS morning news I heard that today was National Waffle Day. My first thought was "why do we need a day to celebrate waffles?"

I looked it up and learned that it is not actually "National" Waffle Day - - how many times must I tell you not to believe everything you hear coming out of the talking box? National Waffle Day is actually August 24 and marks the date of the first U.S. patent for a waffle iron in 1869.

I learned that today is "International" Waffle Day. The holiday originated in Sweden where it is called Vaffeldagen. It occurs exactly nine full months before Christmas - in the Christian faith it is the day the angel Gabriel announced to Mary that she was pregnant with baby Jesus. This day was also considered the start of spring in Sweden and it became a custom for Swedish families to celebrate the two events by making waffles.

No comments:

Post a Comment