Wednesday, March 10, 2010

No. 69 - Limonin

I previously mentioned in Post No. 52 that we are having a lot of fun with a new juicer. We typically juice several fruits or vegetables at a time and store them in plastic containers in the refrigerator. I have been baffled though by orange juice. It tastes incredible delicious as soon as it is squeezed, but by the next day it is terribly bitter.

I learned today that the reason is limonin.

Dictionary.com defines limonin as "a bitter, white crystalline substance found in orange and lemon seeds." It appears that when the fruit is squeezed the limonin is released from the seed. It then begins to hydrolyze (i.e. decompose) and within hours even the freshest fruit tastes bitter.

The solution that I mentioned to my wife just this morning seems to be the answer: Drink the juice immediately.

Problem solved!

No comments:

Post a Comment