Saturday, March 13, 2010

No. 72 - Palooza

My daughter left me a phone message while she was out running errands with my wife this morning. She asked me learn about the word "palooza" today, although she was pronouncing it "balooza." When she got home I asked her what she meant. She said she wanted to make a bunch of paper fortune tellers and sell them at a palooza. I asked where she heard the word. She said she didn't remember but then thought it came from the "great big bullfrog book." This sparked my curiosity to see if the word was in that book. After about 10+ minutes of searching bookshelves, I found Hello, Great Big Bullfrog by Colin West. No mention of the word palooza, or balooza, but halfway through the book the bear says, "Let's have a great big HULLABALOO!" I can make that connection.

While palooza is not defined in the dictionary, it could best be described as "an exaggerated event" or a "giant party."

So if I had a bunch of paper fortune tellers, could there be a better venue to sell them at than a palooza? I think not.

No comments:

Post a Comment