Sunday, March 21, 2010

No. 80 - Tee Ball

The kids had their first tee ball practice today. As I sat watching, cheering, and occasionally calling out some helpful pointers, I wondered aloud when tee ball was invented. When I was little there was no such thing as tee ball, or was there? Where I grew up tee ball was not yet an organized sport, but then again neither was soccer. And I'm pretty sure that sport goes back quite some time.

I was surprised to learn that the game's origins date back to the 1940s and 1950s. Albion, Michigan claims that tee ball was invented there in 1956. But there are quite a few others laying claim to it as well.
 
I learned that "Tee Ball" was registered as a U.S. trademark in the early 1970s. The name "t-ball" is used as the generic term.

No comments:

Post a Comment