Saturday, March 20, 2010

No. 79 - The Dandy Horse

Today we visited the house that General George Washington stayed in during his and the Continental Army's encampment at Valley Forge over the winter of 1777-1778.

While walking along the beautiful paths of Valley Forge I was quizzing the kids. Do you think there were cars around when George Washington stayed here? They said no. Do you think there were airplanes around when George Washington stayed here? They also said no. Do you think there were bicycles around when George Washington stayed here? At which point I immediately realized that I did not know the answer and told the kids that I wasn't sure. I am usually pretty honest with my kids. Adults on the other hand, well, if they believe some of the things I make up then shame on them.

So my thinking was that the bicycle is not a very complicated vehicle. A couple of wheels, which were surely around at that time, and pedals attached to a chain to spin the wheel. I guessed yes. My kids guessed yes. My wife guessed no. Who do you think was correct?

Don't look if you haven't guessed yet.

Did you guess?

Wikipedia says the first chain-driven upright bike was invented around 1885, or a cool 100 years after General George's stay in Valley Forge.

But hold on just a minute. In 1817 Baron von Drais invented the dandy horse (German for running machine), a two-wheeled vehicle, that was propelled by the rider pushing along the ground with his feet. The front wheel and handlebars rotated to allow steering. But no chain. And still about 4 decades later.

Let's not crown the winner yet. What about that wooden scooter-like contraption known as the velocifere (Latin for fast carry) invented in 1790? But this one didn't even have a steering wheel. You basically had to do a wheelie and pull the front wheel off the ground to reposition it in another direction.

So the prize goes to my wife. The winner gets to do the dishes. Congratulations.

No comments:

Post a Comment