Tuesday, March 9, 2010

No. 68 - Little House on the Prairie

I was the mystery reader in my daughter's class this afternoon. I chose two stories from the My First Little House Books series. These are condensed versions for early readers based on the Little House series of children's books by Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Little House on the Prairie was one of my favorite television shows as a kid. The series ran from 1974-1983. I have never read the original books but recently got the complete Little House nine-book set as a Christmas gift.

I learned that the actual location of the original "Little House" is 13 miles southwest of Independence, Kansas. This picture shows a replica of the house on its original site. The house in the television show was in Minnesota, where the family moved to after leaving Kansas.

About a quarter of the kids in the class knew about Little House. All of them were curious and interested and asked lots of questions. Hopefully a few of them will go home tonight and ask their parents about this strange world of log cabins and wagons and stewed jackrabbit and butter churns.

No comments:

Post a Comment