Wednesday, March 17, 2010

No. 76 - Blarney Stone

My dad asked me a few days ago if I was posting about things I already knew. I explained that each thing I post is new to me that day. Meaning that when I learned about it I did not know, or did not recall, and could not articulate to someone else, what exactly it was.

Try this. Without reading any further, turn to your spouse, or kid, or just talk out loud, and explain what the "Blarney Stone" is. Were you able to do it? That's just great. Give yourself a pat on the back. If not, you see what I mean.

The Blarney Stone is a particular block of limestone that was built into Blarney Castle in Blarney, Ireland. According to legend, whoever kisses the Blarney Stone is gifted with eloquence and persuasiveness.

The word "blarney" in the dictionary has come to mean "smooth, flattering talk" and "flattery designed to gain favor."

Oh yeah. One more thing. In order to kiss the stone you must lean backwards over the edge of the castle about 4-5 stories up in the air. Sounds like a legendary joke to me.

1 comment:

  1. My dad kissed the Blarney Stone I remember him telling us the story when we were kids!

    ReplyDelete