Wednesday, March 3, 2010

No. 62 - Coffee

Today is special request day! Last night my son asked me to learn something new about coffee. He knows that I enjoy coffee and on weekends he quite frequently asks for a sip (after it cools down of course). So this one's for you little buddy!

What people commonly refer to as a coffee "bean" is actually a "seed." In fact, the "bean" starts off as a "berry," which is picked from a coffee "bush," which is also referred to as a "tree." The flesh of the berry is removed and what's left is the "seed." The seed, or bean, is first dried and then roasted before it is crushed to brew a cup of coffee.

In grade school I remember being taught a corny song that went something like "C-o-f-f-e-e, coffee is not for me." I did a Google search and found the lyrics and the melody to a children's song called the "Coffee Song":

C-o-f-f-e-e, coffee is not for me,
It's a drink some people wake up with,
That it makes them nervous is no myth,
Slaves to a coffee cup, they can't give coffee up.

While I don't really remember the second, third, or fourth lines, I certainly remember the melody so this must be it. It strikes me today as a really strange song to be teaching kids. If the point was to indoctrinate them that they shouldn't drink coffee, I guess it didn't work on me.

There are varying opinions on whether coffee has medicinal properties that could be good for you, or bad for you. The approach I take to everything else in life is the same I take when drinking coffee: Everything in moderation; nothing in excess.

1 comment:

  1. Don't remember the song, but it is funny. Although I no longer drink caffinated coffee, tea or soda (I do eat chocolate), I started drinking coffee when I was about five. My grandfather drank it and he'd make me a cup of what was essentially cafe au lait. I'd have a cup at night with him and a cup with breakfast. I thought it was normal for 8 year olds. I remember some even at our school, and I walked up to the refreshment table and poured myself a cup of coffee, then looked over to see the surrounding adults staring at me horrified. One of them told me not to drink it because it would "stunt my growth".

    ReplyDelete