Sunday, March 14, 2010

No. 73 - Pysanky

One of my Facebook friends posted the following status update today: "Can't stop making pysanky." I couldn't resist and replied, "I can't stop making pysanky either, but that's not what I usually call it."

This is back-to-back days for words that don't appear in the dictionary.

Pysanka (plural pysanky) is a Ukrainian Easter egg that is decorated with beeswax and dyes. I feel like I must have learned this word before, and forgot it, since I have an aunt who is really good at making these eggs. When I was little I remember asking how she got the egg out of the shell and she showed me the pinholes on the top and the bottom in which it is blown out. I was always impressed with the intricate patterns and the time it must have taken to carefully decorate them.

As I was typing this blog entry my daughter asked me what I learned today. Then as I was showing her a picture of pysanky on the computer, my wife said that we had one of my aunt's eggs in our dining room. I quickly ran to get it to show the kids. When my son was holding it I felt like he was squeezing it a little too hard so I told him to be careful and while attempting to get the egg back from him I dropped it.

Luckily, it dropped onto a carpeted surface and didn't crack :)

Unluckily, after getting to the carpet, the egg took off rolling. It eventually stopped but not before running into the metal leg of a cabinet :(

And then it cracked :((

I felt horrible while looking at the crack in the egg and said something like, "I can't believe I cracked the egg." To which my son replied, "Are you going to put this on your blog?"

2 comments:

  1. Lori Mancini SeniorMarch 14, 2010 at 5:03 PM

    I made a bunch of these in highschool...had a friend that's Ukranian.....Lots of fun,and yes, very beautuful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We HAD four of these eggs . . . I show them to the Grandchildren . . . they don't hold them! I broke a couple in the last move . . . They are beautiful and difficult to paint. I have a friend that has done them for years, I am envious of the time it takes I think! Wish I had the time ...

    ReplyDelete