Friday, October 22, 2010

No. 295 - Backyard Tigers

My Google Reader coughed up this little headline today: Interesting Fact of the Day. So I opened it and read:
According to this article, there are "more tigers in captivity in the U.S. than survive in the wild. As few as 3,200 tigers are left in the wild across Asia, down from 100,000 a hundred years ago. America's 5,000-plus captive tigers are mostly kept by private individuals, not zoos."
I also learned that while some tigers are housed in zoos, many more are privately owned, often free to roam urban apartments and backyards, hence the term, backyard tigers.

Since there are only 3,200 wild tigers in the whole world, and there are 5,000 tigers in various forms of captivity in the U.S. alone, I suppose it is more likely that I would see the eye of the tiger, the subject of Post No. 96, in my own backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment