Monday, October 11, 2010

No. 284 - McRib

I have an iron stomach and will eat practically anything, although I prefer things nicely cooked and seasoned :)

I've eaten cow's tongue and stomach and even deep-fried Rocky Mountain oysters. There is only one food item that I have vowed to never eat again -- the McChicken sandwich. I actually liked them at one point and then, probably more than 10 years ago, I ate one and saw the light. It was so terrible that I had to make a stand. It's officially the only thing on my banned food list, but it's a start.

Today my eye caught an article in the Wall Street Journal about the McRib sandwich. Remember that one? It was pretty gross. Well apparently it's been part of a marketing campaign over the years to create a "buzz" that it will be retired forever, as it should be. It's had at least three farewell tours.

I learned that this culinary delight was introduced in 1981, just two years after Bunnicula, the subject of yesterday's post. The article describes it best: The McRib actually has nothing to do with ribs. It's a boneless pork patty molded into the shape of a rib slab and adorned with pickles, onions and barbecue sauce on a bun.

Yum. Not.

So why isn't the McRib on my banned food list? Because unlike the McChicken, if I'm really, really hungry I'd consider eating it again. Hey, you can't be too picky, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment