Saturday, October 9, 2010

No. 282 - A Visit From St. Nicholas

I've purchased several books from Easton Press in the past -- the beautiful leather-bound editions, with moiré fabric, acid-neutral paper, and gilded page ends. These books are virtually indestructible and I have no doubt they will still look brand-new a hundred years from now. They should with an average price of about fifty bucks.

I get about two offers a week it seems to buy more of them. When today's mail arrived the solicitation was for A Visit From St. Nicholas, also known as The Night Before Christmas, touted as "a wonderful gift for almost anyone on your Christmas list."

The glossy advertisement said the author of the book was Clement Clarke Moore. I've never heard of him. Then I thought: how is it possible that I've never heard the name of the author of, arguably, the most recognizable Christmas poem in the English-speaking world?

I wasn't alone. My wife never heard of him either.

I also learned that the poem is largely responsible for the conception of Santa Claus from the mid-nineteenth century to today, including his physical appearance, the night of his visit, his mode of transportation, the number and names of his reindeer, as well as the tradition that he brings toys to children. Prior to the poem, American ideas about St. Nicholas varied considerably.

The poem was first published anonymously in the Troy, New York, Sentinel on December 23, 1823.

1 comment:

  1. Those that are my age, Tony, can probably recite the poem word for word! And, that would be starting with the title and author! I had a teacher in 3rd grade that REQUIRED us to learn the poem! I don't believe that my kids would know the author. I recite this with Hannah and Billy each Christmas! They are now working on learning it well enough to recite it themselves! AND, they start with the title and author! But, I am old . . .again, don't believe than any of my children would know the author (except maybe Jen . . . she is the one that has to listen to the kids learning the poem!) Certainly is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete