Friday, October 8, 2010

No. 281 - Fall of Giants

I've been feeling lately that I've had to stretch a bit to learn something new each day. Some days things just fall in my lap. Other days, not so much. I decided today that if nothing came easily, I would learn about the #1 fiction book in the WSJ's bestsellers list.

I learned that the #1 book this week, and included on the list for the first time, is Fall of Giants by Ken Follett.

On Ken Follett's website he describes it as: The first novel in the Century trilogy, it follows the fates of five interrelated families – American, German, Russian, English and Welsh – as they move through the world-shaking dramas of the First World War, the Russian Revolution, and the struggle for women’s suffrage.

While I don't seek out historical fiction novels, I enjoy them when they come along, like the book I finished last night. I also have taken a liking to long novels, as I described in Post No. 213. I am not a fan of trilogies, although I hope the sequels to The Passage by Justin Cronin, the subject of Post No. 159, change my mind.

Ken Follett says, "The second book in the 'Century' series, due to be published in 2012, will feature the children of the characters in Fall of Giants as they live through the Depression and the Second World War. The third book, due out in 2014, will be about the next generation during the Cold War."

No comments:

Post a Comment