Tuesday, June 8, 2010

No. 159 - The Passage

I really like to learn about new authors. Not necessarily brand-new authors, but new to me. In the last post I mentioned that I'm reading a book by a new author, Emily St. John Mandel, a Canadian. I like Canadians. I find Canadians - the half dozen or so that I actually know - to be fun people. I like fun. So I like Canadians.

The same independent book store owner who introduced me to Emily Mandel made me aware today of another author I had not previously heard of. He posted this today on Facebook:

The Passage by Justin Cronin in stock (signed copies, too). Our suggestion: put down what you are reading, come pick up a copy, and be captivated for 750 pages!

I learned that The Passage is a vampire book but the author never read Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Series. I did. She should have stopped with the first one, which I found to be a great read. A page turner. It was also my first vampire book ever. The other three books could have (should have) been condensed into maybe one more novel. But teens loved them, and read them, so that's a plus. But I digress.

The author was on Good Morning America this morning and said that his nine-year-old daughter convinced him to write the story while they were out jogging. I like that. Kids have such great imaginations. I'm going to have to get my kids to tell me what story to write before they get too old...and lose their creativity.

The Huffington Post thinks that The Passage may be "the biggest book of the summer."

No comments:

Post a Comment