Saturday, June 5, 2010

No. 156 - Fels-Naptha

I'm allergic to poison ivy. My kids are allergic to poison ivy. We are not alone. About 85% of people also have an allergic reaction to poison ivy. My wife is one of the lucky ones and is immune.

My kids' legs are covered in it. And it's itchy. Today while I was helping apply some anti-itch cream on one of them, my uncle told me about a soap that is really good at taking the itch away. He said that you can take a bar of Fels-Naptha soap and create a little paste from it to rub on the infected area.

Wikipedia has this to say about Fels-Naptha:
Fels-Naptha is a brand of bar laundry soap used for pre-treating stains on clothing and as a home remedy for exposure to poison ivy and other skin irritants. Fels-Naptha is manufactured by and is a trademark of the Dial Corporation.
It later said that in its own caution use sheet, Dial Corp. states that Fels-Naptha is a skin irritant and should not be used directly on skin.

Well since poison ivy is a skin irritant too, I suppose it's worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment