Thursday, June 10, 2010

No. 161 - Apple's Newton

I first learned about the iPad back in Post No. 27. Today it arrived in the mail. I debated back and forth for quite a bit. 

Do I need it? 

Do I like it? 

Yeah, but do I need it? 

My rational and logical side lost the battle. Hey, you gotta splurge once in a while, right?

I learned today that the iPad is Apple's second tablet computer. You might asking yourself: What was its first? It was called the Apple Newton MessagePad and it came out in 1993.

The Newton ran on a 20 MHz processor, used AAA batteries and sold for $699. The device included a pen-based stylus and a variety of personal-organization applications, such as an address book, a calendar, and notes. Its built-in handwriting recognition was the device's most unique and interesting ability, being able to interpret the user's handwriting into computer-readable text.

The Newton was never a great success for Apple, who terminated the entire Newton line five years later in 1998.

No comments:

Post a Comment