Tuesday, June 15, 2010

No. 166 - Vuvuzela

I don't like soccer. I don't watch soccer. I once attended a soccer game and left at the first opportunity. For those who say that baseball or golf is a slow sport, they have never been to a soccer game. As one of my FB friends posted today: Sorry all you soccer fans - but watching soccer is like watching the grass grow.

I had heard news reports about the sound level at the games from this past weekend. Today I learned the reason why: the vuvuzela.

The vuvuzela is a plastic horn commonly blown by fans at South African soccer matches. The sound level of the instrument has been measured at 127 decibels contributing to soccer matches with dangerously high sound pressure levels for unprotected ears. The instrument has been associated with permanent noise-induced hearing loss.

The noise has been compared to a swarm of angry bees, or a stampede of noisy elephants.

No comments:

Post a Comment