Wednesday, June 2, 2010

No. 153 - Pit Bull

I don't know why in the last week or so I am learning more about animals. Being outdoors more? The beginning of the summer months?

Today I asked another person that I met for the first time last week to tell me something I don't know.

She told me that she volunteers for an animal shelter and is involved specifically in a program to educate the community about the misunderstanding of the Pit Bull breed, which often leads to cruelty, neglect, abuse and problematic behavior.

I learned that in the 1940s and 1950s the breed was once affectionately known as “America's Nanny Dog" because they were loyal, caring companions for children.

I also learned that Jack, the dog from Little House on the Prairie, the subject of Post No. 68, Petey, the dog from The Little Rascals, and the RCA dog were all pit bulls.

No comments:

Post a Comment