Sunday, October 24, 2010

No. 297 - Bandy

Most of the day had gone by before I thought about what my post for the day would be. Nothing came to mind. Then I thought back to a word I read this morning in Diamond Ruby by Joseph Wallace, the subject of Post No. 275. On page 168, I read the following:
"Don't worry about me," she said, smiling away Ruby's distress. "You think I haven't been through worse? Remind me to tell you about the trip I took with my bubbie from Arkhangelsk when I was seven. This is nothing."
I did not know where Arkhangelsk was so I looked it up and discovered that Arkhangelsk, or Archangel in English, is a city in Russia. Besides that, there wasn't anything exciting to learn, until I read that bandy is the biggest sport in the city.

I learned that bandy is a team winter sport played on ice, in which skaters use sticks to direct a ball into the opposing team's goal. The rules of the game have many similarities to those of soccer: the game is played on a rectangle of ice the same size as a soccer field. Each team has eleven players, one of whom is a goalkeeper. A standard bandy match consists of two halves of 45 minutes each.

No comments:

Post a Comment