Monday, April 12, 2010

No. 102 - Scotch Bonnet

It's becoming apparent to me that my wife either has a hidden fascination with peppers or is trying to display my lack of knowledge of them. Start with Post No. 25 on pimentos. Then revisit Post No. 99 on the ghost pepper.

I had not picked up on this trend until after incorrectly answering the following question from her this morning: What is a Scotch Bonnet? I even knew the context. She told me she had just watched a travel show on Jamaica where we are anticipating returning to hopefully this year for a relaxing week in the sun. I guessed it was a flower. Do I get partial credit because it starts off as a flower, before growing into something that is not-at-all a flower?

A Scotch Bonnet is a variety of chili pepper similar to the habanero. This is the pepper used to give jerk chicken its unique flavor.

So the next time my wife asks me "Do I know what such and such is," the probability seems pretty good that the answer will be "pepper."

No comments:

Post a Comment