Sunday, April 4, 2010

No. 94 - Gnarly

My brother-in-law and nephew invited me to go mountain biking with them this morning. Of course I agreed. What a great way to start off Easter -- becoming one with nature.

However, there was not much time to reflect on the beautiful weather and the very pretty surroundings. This trail required a bit of focus and concentration or I would have become one with nature in a way I had not imagined, like becoming one with a tree. The terrain was quite challenging and, as I was bumping along trying to avoid this tree and that exposed root, the word that kept coming to mind was "gnarly," a word which I hadn't said or heard in many years. Encarta Dictionary defines gnarly as "extremely difficult, risky, and challenging" as well as "extraordinarily good or pleasurable." That actually describes the ride perfectly. No wonder the word kept coming to mind!

We biked in Pittsburgh's North Park. I learned that North Park is a 3,000-acre park that was completed in 1931. At that time, its swimming pool was considered to be the largest in the world, holding 2,000,000 gallons of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment