Sunday, April 18, 2010

No. 108 - Tetralogy

This morning I began reading Rabbit, Run by John Updike. In the beginning of this edition, there's an introduction written by the author in 1993 in which he describes a bit of the background in writing the novel as well as the three sequels to it. While he was providing perspective on each of these four books, I kept thinking "what is a series of four books called?" I knew that three books were called a trilogy but couldn't remember what four were called. No sooner than I thought it, Updike described his works as a "tetralogy." It was almost as if he knew I was thinking it. Then instead of just stopping there, he mentioned it two more times over the course of the next few paragraphs, like he was trying to make sure I don't forget the word. I'll try not to, John.

John Updike was born in Reading, Pennsylvania and grew up in the nearby small town of Shillington. The main character in Rabbit, Run is Harry "Rabbit" Angstrom who lives with his wife and 2-year old son in Mount Judge, a suburb of Brewer, Pennsylvania, which was modeled after the city of Reading.

John Updike died in 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment