Friday, April 9, 2010

No. 99 - 10,000 Ghosts

I'm a huge fan of hot wings. I don't go for the really hot ones anymore. Primarily because years ago I ate a wickedly hot one and almost passed out. The pain was incredible. But I'll get back to that in a moment.

My wife sent me this article. It's about a local restaurant that makes wings they've dubbed "10,000 ghosts."

I learned that "ghost" is a reference to the bhut jolokia pepper, the hottest pepper in the world, which is also known as the ghost pepper.

So how hot is hot?

The heat of a pepper is measured in Scoville units. Tabasco is about 2,500 units. Jalapeno is about 10,000 units. Habanero is about 150,000 units. The hottest wing sauce that I ever had was called Da Bomb. It contained 119,700 Scoville units. When I ate it, I knew immediately that something was very wrong. My hearing began to fade in and out. I broke out in a sweat. I thought for sure that I'd pass out. Eventually - 30 minutes later - the heat dissipated. I haven't since attempted to eat anything that hot.

OK. Are you ready for this?

The bhut jolokia pepper comes in at more than 1 million Scoville units.

I would gladly join you for some wings and a few beers. Just don't ask me if I want 10,000 ghosts. The answer is a resounding: No thank you!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not really into hot either; I do like a chipotle flavor in my bbq :) Just wanted to let you know about a hot sauce that is sold at a store I work for (Le Gourmet Chef). Actually, it's not a sauce, but something you add to your own sauce/salsa/dish to increase the heat. It is called 'Blair's 3 AM Reserve Pepper Extract'. It is 1,500,000-2,000,000 scoville units! We sell Blair's 2AM and 3AM and cannot keep it in stock. Most people buy it as a collector's item.

    ReplyDelete