Saturday, April 17, 2010

No. 107 - Doc Holliday

I'm currently reading The Homeplace by Gilbert Morris. It was available for a short period of time as a free Kindle download so I thought I would give it a try. It interested me because it takes place in Arkansas during the Great Depression. This morning while I was reading it, the character of Aunt Kezia Freeman said, "Well, I knowed a dentist once. His name was Doc Holliday. Cold-blooded killer, that one."

It caught my attention because the Philadelphia Phillies acquired a pitcher this year from the Toronto Blue Jays by the name of Roy Halladay, whose nickname is "Doc," a reference to Doc Holliday.

Later in the morning, while catching up on the Phillies game from last night, I read that during his first three starts with the Phillies, Roy Halladay went 3-0 with a 1.13 ERA. Last year another ace pitcher the Phillies acquired named Cliff Lee, during his first three starts, went 3-0 with a 1.13 ERA. I thought that was an amazing statistic.

I learned that Doc Holliday was a dentist, gambler, and gunfighter from the American Old West, who is often remembered for his friendship with Wyatt Earp and his involvement in the gunfight at the O.K. Corral in 1881.

No comments:

Post a Comment