Saturday, April 10, 2010

No. 100 - Philadelphia

Wow! This is the 100th post! And what a great day for it to land on. On this day seventeen years ago, I had a first date with a truly amazing girl. I knew on that day that I had met my soul mate. She is my best friend. I consider this day to be our true anniversary. The marriage was just a legal formality. This was the day I fell in love with her.

On our first date, we went to see the movie Philadelphia starring Tom Hanks. We had popcorn and cherry coke. Afterward I made her ribs and string beans. Every year since then, to commemorate this special day, we watch the movie and eat ribs and string beans. We usually make them ourselves but tonight we are going to a place that makes really, really good ribs.

I did not know that Philadelphia was inspired by the story of Geoffrey Bowers, an attorney who in 1987 sued the law firm Baker & McKenzie for unfair dismissal in one of the first AIDS discrimination cases.

No comments:

Post a Comment