Sunday, May 30, 2010

No. 150 - Box Turtle

Two nights ago I walked outside and noticed a long 6-inch wide swath cut into the mulch of our landscaping. I immediately thought that the kids were digging in it and walked closer to examine the area. I discovered that it was not the kids but a box turtle that made the path. And he was still there. I called the kids outside to see and we placed him in a Rubbermaid plastic box for further observation. The kids named it Rocket.

The turtle was little. It reminded me though of a snapping turtle that was found crossing the street a couple of houses up last year. Its shell was about 3-4 feet long front-to-back and about 2-3 feet wide. It weighed several hundred pounds. A couple of guys pushed it off the street into the woods. It's still wandering around the neighborhood I suppose.

Today my son asked if I learned anything new today, and then said "I forgot to tell you yesterday, but you should learn something new about box turtles."

I learned that box turtles are most famous for their hinged shell, which allows them to retract almost completely into their bony armor to hide from danger. They have an average lifespan of 40 years, but it is possible for a box turtle to live for over 100 years.

My daughter came to me today with pencil and paper in hand, and asked what types of food box turtles eat, so that she could feed it appropriately. Box turtles are omnivores. During their first five to six years, the young are primarily carnivores. Adults tend to be mostly herbivores. Their diets include: snails, insects, berries, fungi, slugs, worms, roots, flowers, fish, frogs, salamanders, various rodents, snakes, birds, and eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment