Monday, May 10, 2010

No. 130 - Angora Wool

I was in a waiting room today, reading a book and trying not to be distracted by a television that was tuned to the Who Wants To Be A Millionaire game show. I looked up at one point and heard the following question being asked: Angora wool comes from goats and this animal? The multiple choice answers were: (A) beaver, (B) ferret, (C) fox and (D) rabbit.

I heard the host tell the contestant that the answer was (D) rabbit.

I later learned that the Angora rabbit is one of the oldest types of domestic rabbit, originating in Ankara (formerly known as Angora) in the present-day Turkey, along with the Angora cat and the Angora goat. I also learned that only the Angora rabbit produces angora wool. In fact, contrary to what was said on the game show, the Angora goat does not produce angora wool, but rather the fleece taken from it is called mohair.

I was not looking for another reason to dislike Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.

But I found one today.

No comments:

Post a Comment