Thursday, May 20, 2010

No. 140 - TMNT

This is a special request day!

My son wants me to learn about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I asked him how he knew about them, and whether he saw them in a cartoon, which is the how I remember them. He said he didn't see them in a cartoon, but saw them in a video game and on the computer (meaning on a website).

The Ninja Turtles are a fictional team of four mutant turtles, who were trained in the art of Ninjutsu and named after four Renaissance artists. I remembered the names Michelangelo and Leonardo, but couldn't recall Donatello and Raphael. Hey, it's been awhile. Give me a break. I also did not recall the name of their rat sensei, Master Splinter.

They peaked in popularity during the late 1980s and early 1990s.

I didn't know that the Ninja Turtles started out in a comic book. And even if I somehow knew that, and forgot it over the years, I just know that I didn't know how the comic book got started.

The concept was created when two friends were sketching out ideas one evening. They used $1,200 of their own money, supposedly from a tax refund, along with a loan from an uncle and they self-published a single issue comic. They limited the print run to only 3,000 copies. This was enough to pique the public's attention and kick-off the Turtle phenomenon.

1 comment:

  1. That's crazy that kids are still playing with Ninja Turtles somehow, I remember that Ninja Turtles was my favorite thing when I was 4 years old and now I'm almost 23!

    ReplyDelete