Thursday, May 6, 2010

No. 126 - Oceania

I received an offer in the mail to buy some of the "world's rarest" coffees delivered right to my door step four times a year. The first shipment was from Papua New Guinea.

I thought to myself: Where in the world is Papua New Guinea? I learned that it is a country in Oceania.

Then I thought: Wasn't that one of the regions of the world in George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four, along with Eastasia and Eurasia that were constantly at war with one another?

Apparently it is not only a fictional region but a real one too. I learned that Oceania is a geographical region consisting of numerous lands, mostly islands in the Pacific Ocean and vicinity. The largest countries in Oceania are Australia, New Zealand and Indonesia. Hawaii is also a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment