Saturday, May 8, 2010

No. 128 - Thistle Dhu

Yesterday I told my young son that I would take him miniature golfing today while my daughter had some girlfriends at the house for a birthday party sleep-over.

Last night before bed my son said to me: I'm so happy for tomorrow because I get to spend it with you...and go miniature golfing! At 6:30 this morning he woke me up to tell me: Dad, it's miniature golf day!

I learned that the first American miniature golf course was Thistle Dhu ("This'll Do"), which opened in Pinehurst, North Carolina in 1916. A miniature golf boom followed and by the late 1920s there were tens of thousands of mini golf courses across the United States. Interestingly, but I suppose not surprising, nearly all mini golf courses in the United States were closed and demolished during America's First Great Depression.

I guess I should make it a point to take my son miniature golfing more often before America's Second Great Depression closes them all again.

No comments:

Post a Comment