Sunday, May 16, 2010

No. 136 - Ronnie James Dio

Many times over the last several months when a tune by Ronnie James Dio came on the radio, I cranked it, and then thought what an underrated rocker he was in the 80s (at least in my mind).

I learned that Dio died today of stomach cancer.

In reading some of the articles about Dio's death, I learned that Dio replaced Ozzy Osborne in Black Sabbath in 1980. How did I not know that? Black Sabbath? I was all about heavy metal and hair bands in the 80s. Black Sabbath? Replaced Ozzy? I remember his self-titled band, Dio, and even vaguely remember his first band, Rainbow. Black Sabbath?!? And it wasn't like he in the band for just a year or something. He had three stints with Black Sabbath (1980-82; 1992; and 2007-2009, when the band toured as Heaven and Hell, to differentiate it from Ozzy's version of Sabbath).

I really have to wonder if I've lost some brain cells over the years. How could I have not known this? I am stunned.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. You rocked!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment