Tuesday, May 11, 2010

No. 131 - The Talmud

I began reading the novel Push by Sapphire (Ramona Lofton) today. My wife asked me to get it a month or two ago. She heard about it because the novel was adapted into a movie called Precious, which was nominated for several Academy Awards. When the book arrived I read the back cover and was glad that my wife discovered it. It appears to be a quite compelling story.

On one of the front pages was written the following:

Every blade of grass has its Angel that bends over it and whispers, "Grow, grow." - The Talmud


I wondered what this "Talmud" was that produced the thought-provoking quote.


I learned that the word "talmud" literally means "study." The Talmud is a central text of mainstream Judaism in the form of discussions pertaining to Jewish law, ethics, philosophy, customs and history. It's like a companion/study guide to the Bible. It fills in gaps, explains the laws, and includes stories and sayings that both straightforwardly and allegorically offer the philosophy and wisdom of Judaism.

No comments:

Post a Comment