Saturday, January 30, 2010

No. 30 - Ugli Fruit

Last evening we were enjoying a delicious meal and some adult beverages with friends. At one point I asked M what kind of fruit was in the bowl on the counter behind him. It sure looked like nothing I ever saw before. It was green and yellow and a little bit bigger than a softball and was, quite frankly, pretty ugly. He picked it up and read the tag: Uniq Fruit. We googled it and learned that this fruit was first discovered in Brown's Town, Jamaica in 1914. It goes by the name Uniq Fruit, Unique Fruit and Ugli Fruit. It's a cross between an orange and a grapefruit. They have a very short season from December to April and, because the crop isn't large, its limited supply makes it expensive. We looked at each other both wondering how much this piece of fruit could have cost. M asked his wife K. We were told $2. Not too bad. Next up...cracking that baby open to see what was inside. The skin was very thick but peeled easily like an orange. It also looked and tasted very much like an orange and was incredibly juicy. I said to M too bad I already posted on my blog for the day because that was pretty interesting, and one of my rules was that I wasn't allowed to carry things I learned forward to the next day. He asked me if I knew what a jackfruit was. I did not and I saved looking that one up until today.

I learned that a jackfruit is the largest tree borne fruit in the world. But it's not nearly as interesting as the Ugli Fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment