Tuesday, January 26, 2010

No. 26 - Aldo Nova

While driving to work this morning, XM's Rock@Random channel kicked out one of my favorite rock tunes from the 80s, Fantasy by Aldo Nova. Whenever this song comes on, it immediately transports me back in time to the summer of '84 or '85. There I was schlepping around buckets of dirty water at my parish grade school, helping to clean it for the upcoming school year, and earning a few extra bucks to boot. The guy supervising us had a boom box with Aldo Nova's self-titled 1982 album playing in repeat mode. We probably listening to it 100 times. I'm probably exaggerating, but for several weeks, all day long, it's the only thing that I heard.

Some consider Aldo Nova a one-hit wonder although he did produce a few other lesser known hits. I learned today that Aldo was the guy who could be heard playing guitar on another one of my favorite tunes from the 80s, Runaway by Bon Jovi. Richie Sambora had just joined Bon Jovi at the time and was shown in the music video playing the guitar solo. The sound, however, came from Aldo Nova's guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment