Friday, January 29, 2010

No. 29 - The Raven

What do poets and politicians have in common? The things they say aren't necessarily what they mean.

In high school English class we would spend time dissecting poems. It would drive me crazy. Someone would raise their hand and say, "I think the apple represents hope." Someone else would say, "I feel the apple is a symbol of man's inherent lack of understanding of blah, blah, blah." It was like I was on another planet. I felt like saying "It's an apple everyone, just an apple. Two plus two equals four, not six and a half."

I haven't exactly changed much. I still like things to make logical sense. I like when someone tells me something and mean exactly what they say. I can, however, appreciate the skills it takes to say something and mean another. But I still don't like poetry. Or politicians.

I heard on the radio this morning that today is the 165th anniversary of the first printing of The Raven by Edgar Allen Poe. Some say this is one of the most famous poems ever written.

I just downloaded a copy to my Kindle. I'm going to give it another try. Maybe I'll read it to my kids. Perhaps they will understand it. And then they can explain it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment