Wednesday, January 20, 2010

No. 20 - Wildfire

She comes down from Yellow Mountain
On a dark, flat land she rides
On a pony she named Wildfire
With a whirlwind by her side
On a cold Nebraska night

Every time Wildfire by Michael Martin Murphey comes on the radio I get chills. Last night while driving home from work, I thought I figured out what the song means. When I researched it today, I'm not so sure I do. And Murphey says he's not sure he fully understands it either. He says "I can't tell you that I understand what the song means, but I think it's about getting above the hard times. I've had people tell me they wish they could ride that mystical horse and get away from their hard times, whatever they are."  

The song was released in 1975. Murphey said that the song came to him during a dream one night from deep in his subconsciousness. 

And he has a horse named Wildfire.

No comments:

Post a Comment