Tuesday, September 21, 2010

No. 264 - Atlatl

I knew immediately when I read this Facebook post that I found my topic for the day:
Of all the ancient inventions the one that perplexes me the most is the ATLATL. I mean, how does a primitive human being with no understanding of physics or aerodynamics come up with something like that?
"Something like what?" I asked myself. An ATLATL? He even capitalized it to draw my attention to it.

I learned that an atlatl (pronounced AT-latal) is a spear-throwing tool that uses leverage to achieve greater velocity. It consists of a shaft with a cup in which the butt of the dart, or spear, rests. It is held near the end farthest from the cup, and the dart is thrown by the action of the upper arm and wrist. An atlatl can achieve speeds of over 60 mph and has a range of more than 300 feet, although it is most accurate within 60 feet.

The atlatl preceded the bow and arrow and marked a key innovation in the development of human hunting. The earliest known example is a 15,000 year-old atlatl made of reindeer antler and found in France.

It has been suggested by archeologists that the device was a social equalizer in that it required skill rather than muscle power alone. Thus women and children would have been able to participate in hunting.

Here is a one-minute video demonstrating the use of the atlatl.

No comments:

Post a Comment