Monday, September 20, 2010

No. 263 - Mangia

I received a couple of envelopes in the mail recently from my Dad. They contained newspaper clippings of things he thought I would find interesting. In one envelope, along with three or four other clippings, was an article about an Italian restaurant which recently opened by a guy who shares our same last name. In the other envelope was different article about the same restaurant.

It was called Mangia (pronounced MON-jah). I thought it was a pretty unique name for a restaurant. Apparently not. If you Google the word you get page after page of Italian eateries with the same name. So much for unique.

I learned that mangia is the Italian verb meaning "to eat."

Similar to Spanish I know very few words in Italian. Did I mention that I took Latin in high school? My great-grandfather immigrated to the United States from Italy. I suppose he knew what mangia meant. Maybe my grandfather knew too. I'll have to ask my Dad. This fourth generation Italian did not.

2 comments:

  1. You call yourself Italian. I was told that all the time as a kid. I even say it my kids now.

    VF

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be ashamed of yourself Antonio!

    ReplyDelete