Thursday, September 9, 2010

No. 252 - W.O.W.

Three of the last four posts have come from things I learned from Facebook friends. So today I thought I would ask my Facebook friends a question, and perhaps learn something new.

I posted: How many 80s bands can you name that begin with "W"?

Responses included the usual suspects (at least for me): Winger, Warrant, Whitesnake and White Lion.

There were a couple that I had thought about, but were lesser well-known: W.A.S.P. and Wall of Voodoo.

There were a few I had not readily thought about: Wang Chung, WHAM! and Warlock.

And there were ones that I didn't even know were bands: Whiplash, Was Not Was, When in Rome, The Wallflowers and The Waitresses.

By the way, Weezer and White Stripes were both formed in the 1990s and I'm not accepting Traveling Wilburys as an answer.

There was one response that caught my attention: W.O.W. -- Wendy O. Williams. It vaguely rang a bell but I couldn't recall anything about her.

I learned that Wendy Orlean Williams, better known as Wendy O. Williams, was the lead singer for the Plasmatics, an American punk band, as well as a solo artist. Her stage theatrics included blowing up equipment, near nudity and chain-sawing guitars. She often sported a Mohawk haircut.

In 1984, she released the "W.O.W." album. It was produced by Gene Simmons and KISS band members Paul Stanley, Ace Frehley, Eric Carr and Vinnie Vincent performed on it.

Williams died in 1998 at age 48 of a self-inflicted gunshot wound in a wooded area near her home. She left a suicide note which included the following:
"I don't believe that people should take their own lives without deep and thoughtful reflection over a considerable period of time. I do believe strongly, however, that the right to do so is one of the most fundamental rights that anyone in a free society should have. For me, much of the world makes no sense, but my feelings about what I am doing ring loud and clear to an inner ear and a place where there is no self, only calm."

No comments:

Post a Comment