Saturday, September 18, 2010

No. 261- Quarry

I recently began reading 33 A.D. by David McAfee, the subject of Post No. 215. So far, so good. My Kindle tells me that I'm about 23% of the way through it. At location 1219 - that's how the Kindle defines what page you are on for some reason - I read:
Privately, Taras marveled at the man's ability to traverse the roads and then the scrubland in complete silence. Not once along the way had Taras heard a single crunch of gravel or broken twig. Very few indeed were the people who could tread so lightly; it was not an easy skill to learn. It had taken Taras the better part of a decade to learn it himself. That his quarry showed signs of being similarly well trained was both obvious and unsettling.
The beauty of the Kindle is its built-in dictionary. I placed the cursor on the word "quarry." The dictionary's first definition was "a place, typically a large, deep pit, from which stone or other materials are or have been extracted." Yep. That's the one I knew. The second definition was "an animal pursued by a hunter, hound, predatory mammal, or bird of prey" and also "a thing or person that is chased or sought." I never heard it used that way before.

No comments:

Post a Comment