Sunday, September 19, 2010

No. 262 - Mr. Jefferson's University

Yesterday my kids asked me if they could do "school" on the weekend. Apparently they can't get enough. And they wanted me to be their teacher. Yeah!

I called my lesson "art history." I taught them about the current American flag as well as the flag used back in 1776. We talked about the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. They drew pictures of each flag. Hence, the art part. We talked about the thirteen stripes on the flag, and the thirteen stars and stripes on the 1776 flag, representing the thirteen original colonies. They loved it.

Today they wanted to do school again. I told them that today we would learn about Thomas Jefferson. I searched the internet for some facts about Jefferson. I found a great website that gave me everything I needed. It was called Biographies for Kids. The site says:
These stories of presidents, inventors, educators, scientists, business men and women etc. are presented to inspire the student. Each story features 8 free printables!
The materials were fantastic. I read them the study sheet, which was a one-page summary biography. We learned that when Thomas Jefferson was young he was taught by his father. The kids took a 20-question multiple choice test based on what they heard me read. They loved it. And I loved being their teacher.

The kids weren't the only ones to learn something new today. I learned that Thomas Jefferson founded the University of Virgina, which is sometimes referred to as Mr. Jefferson's University. The materials informed us that Jefferson designed the buildings, chose the library books, and hired the teachers. The school opened in 1825 with 40 students.

No comments:

Post a Comment