Tuesday, August 24, 2010

No. 236 - Khan Academy

I enjoy following a blog called Be the Hero, which is written by Noah Blumenthal, who is a friend of a friend. Today Noah's post was titled New Education and he referenced a learning website called Khan Academy.

I am a huge proponent of lifelong learning, if this blog didn't already give you that impression. I also believe we are in a higher education bubble, and when it bursts it is going to be more devastating on society that the bursting of the dot-com bubble and the housing bubble, combined. I replied to Noah's post with the following:
The benefits [of higher education] no longer justify the costs for society as a whole. Advice often given to those entering their college years are (1) assess whether your field of interest requires a college degree and (2) don’t go into debt to obtain the degree. College today is used as an initial screening mechanism, a very expensive one at that. Many jobs require no degree, and others would be just fine with an apprenticeship program or other highly focused training. It will be interesting to see how things play out over the next decade.
I learned that the Khan Academy is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) with the mission of providing a world-class education to anyone, anywhere. It was founded by Salman Khan who has recorded over 1,600 videos on math, science, finance, and economics.

I reviewed a Basic Addition video to get a feel for his teaching ability. It was simple, logical, and well explained. I can see myself and my kids spending a lot of time on this website. Thanks, Noah!

No comments:

Post a Comment