Saturday, August 14, 2010

No. 226 - Arctic Char

Last night I went to dinner with a girl that makes my heart skip a beat. She has been doing that for over 16 years now. I ordered meat. She ordered fish -- it was called Arctic char. The waitress described it as similar in texture to salmon cooked with a crispy skin. I had a bite. It was tasty.

Today I looked it up and learned that arctic char is both a freshwater and saltwater fish, native to Arctic, sub-Arctic and alpine lakes and coastal waters. No other freshwater fish is found as far north.

The Arctic char is closely related to both salmon and trout and has many characteristics of both. Individual char fish can weigh 20 pounds or more with record sized fish having been taken by angling in northern Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment