Monday, August 9, 2010

No. 221 - 100 Thing Challenge

A Facebook friend posted a link to an article which mentions a website that challenges consumers to live with just 100 personal items. The website is called the 100 Thing Challenge. There's also a Facebook page with the same name which describes the proposition as follows:

The 100 Thing Challenge is a grassroots movement that thousands of average people all over the world are making. It is a way to stop participating in irresponsible consumerism and start living a more meaningful lifestyle that is economically secure and that blesses people.

I found this to be quite thought-provoking. I like to think of myself as a minimalist. Notice I said "think." In reality I know I have way too much "stuff."

Do I think I could do this challenge? In a word -- no. In two words -- no way. Maybe in another time, in another place.

I might start a list of the top 100 things I would like keep just to see which things make the list. I know there are many things that are not essential to living a happy life. I don't think owning them necessarily makes me more, or less, happy. Some are comforting, some make thinks work better, and some are certainly just luxury items.

No comments:

Post a Comment