Tuesday, August 17, 2010

No. 229 - Guru

My wife was reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert while sitting poolside today. She turned to me and asked me if I knew what the word Guru means. I knew that it was someone who was knowledgeable in a particular area. I did not know that Guru is composed of the syllables gu and ru, the former signifying 'darkness', and the latter signifying 'the destroyer of that darkness', hence a guru is one characterized as someone who dispels spiritual ignorance (darkness), with spiritual illumination (light).

From the book:
A great Yogi is anyone who has achieved the permanent state of enlightened bliss. A Guru is a great Yogi who can actually pass that state on to others. The word Guru is composed of two Sanskit syllables. The first means "darkness," the second means "light." Out of the darkness and into the light. What passes from the master into the disciple is something called mantravirya: "The potency of the enlightened consciousness." You come to your Guru, then, not only to receive lessons, as from any teacher, but to actually receive the Guru's state of grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment