Thursday, July 15, 2010

No. 196 - Cave of the Apocalypse

I was flipping between radio stations this morning when I heard someone talking about a cave. Since my post yesterday was on another kind of subterranean formation, my ears perked up.

The cave they were discussing was called the Cave of the Apocalypse. I learned that this cave is situated about halfway up a mountain, on the Greek island of Patmos. It is believed to mark the spot where John of Patmos received visions that he recorded in the Book of Revelation, or the Apocalypse, the last book of the Christian Bible. The place is also known as the Holy Grotto.

John of Patmos is traditionally believed to be the same person as both John, the apostle of Jesus and John, the author of the Fourth Gospel.  However, some biblical scholars now contend that these were separate individuals.

Christians believe that the Book of Revelation was dictated by God to John, who was exiled on the island, through a crack in a rock in the cave.

"I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ. I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet." (Revelation 1:9-10)

No comments:

Post a Comment