Thursday, July 1, 2010

No. 182 - Monkey Nuts

Each afternoon the kids and I have been snacking on the salted peanuts mentioned in Post No. 177 that we bought earlier in the week.

I don't recall if I knew that peanuts were not nuts - they actually belong to the legume family of beans and peas. Peanuts are known by many local names, including earthnuts, ground nuts, goobers, monkey nuts, and pig nuts.

I think I'll refer to them as monkey nuts from now on.

I learned that the world's top producer of monkey nuts is China. No surprise there. What doesn't China make? China comprises about 33% of the overall world production, followed by India (18%) and then the United States (7%). I also learned that approximately half of the monkey nuts grown in the U.S. are grown within a 100-mile radius of Dothan, Alabama.

No comments:

Post a Comment