Saturday, July 10, 2010

No. 191 - Curling Iron

We had a busy day planned today so I knew I had to learn something early. I asked my wife to give me an idea. She was getting ready and was fixing her hair, so she asked me to learn who invented the curling iron.

But first she told me how acrylic, or artificial, nails were invented. A bonus. She said that acrylic nails were invented by a dentist, when his wife broke a nail before going out one night and he needed to fix it - MacGyver-style - using materials he had readily available. I found this at answerbag.com:

Acrylic, or artificial, nails were invented in the 1970s by a dentist named Stuart Nordstrom. After a patient commented that the smell of the substances he used smelled much like the chemicals used for manicures, he decided to experiment in his garage. The first artificial nails were introduced in 1978.

I learned that curling, or styling, hair probably dates back through all of recorded history. Apparently we always liked to primp. 

And Adam Frisby is credited with creating the curling iron in 1890.

No comments:

Post a Comment