Wednesday, February 17, 2010

No. 48 - Really Cheap Digital Storage

I was scanning the Wall Street Journal this morning when my eye caught a Best Buy advertisement showing a 1TB Portable Hard Drive for $180. I thought to myself: Whoa! One terabyte of storage space for $180? That sounds really, really cheap. A few years ago I recall buying an 80 GB hard drive for about $80 equating to about $1 for each gigabyte of storage, which seemed to be a great deal at the time. Doing the math. Doing the math. So this 1TB drive would equate to 18 cents per gigabyte. Whoa! But a quick Google search located the same drive at newegg.com for just $110. Doing the math. Doing the math. So this 1TB drive would equate to 11 cents per gigabyte. Double whoa! That's really, really, really cheap digital storage.

1 comment:

  1. On Black Friday, I bought a 1TB external drive for $70. I found a reason to "need" it.

    ReplyDelete