Sunday, February 14, 2010

No. 45 - Pavlova

Around 8 AM there was a knock at the door. It was M stopping by to pick-up his kids who slept over. We had a cup of coffee together and I asked what he and K did last night. He told me they made pavlova. I thought, "Whoa. I just woke-up and this new piece of information comes strolling through my door." I asked what this "pavlova" is that he speaks of.

I learned that pavlova is a meringue-based dessert named after the Russian ballet dancer, Anna Pavlova. It is a cake with a crisp crust and a soft, light filling usually topped with whipped cream and fruit. It is believed to have originated in New Zealand in the 1920s in honor of the dancer as she toured the country.

It appears that there are many variations of this dessert with an endless combination of fruit toppings. Perhaps M and K will make their version for us to sample sometime soon. Hint. Hint.

No comments:

Post a Comment